english version



wersja polska

Lance-corporal Officer Cadet Antoni Wajszczuk - "Toni"

135 Platoon of the VII Concentration Group "Ruczaj" of the Home Army (AK)*

Antoni Wajszczuk (083)
1924 - 1944

Antoni, "Toni" died in fighting for the Cavalry Department building of the Ministry of Military Affairs at 24/26 Marszalkowska Street - on August 1 or 3, 1944.

*AK - Armia Krajowa/Home Army - main and largest Underground Resistance fighting force during WWII, subordinate to the Polish Government-in-Exile in London.

Below are the excerpts and reproductions of photographs from the publication: "135 Pluton AK VII Zgrupowania "Ruczaj" i jego kadeckie korzenie". (135 Platoon AK of the VII Concentration Group "Ruczaj" and its officer-cadet roots). Compiled and edited by Andrzej Dlawichowski. Dorota Karaszewska Publishing House, Warszawa 1994. (ISBN 83-86020-05-9).

Reproduction of a newsbrief from the newspaper "Zycie Warszawy" no. 344 dated December 15, 1946 referring to the interment of soldiers of the 135 Platoon.


There were thirty of them who perished
Exhumation of the insurgents
from the former Ministry of Military Affairs Building

Thanks to the efforts of the Voivodship Council of the Association of Participants of the Armed Struggle for Independance and Democracy in Warsaw, yesterday took place in the Powazki (Military Cemetery) a burial of the exhumed remains of heroic soldiers of the 135 platoon, III company, 7th Concentration group of Armia Krajowa (Home Army), who perished during the Uprising in the building of the former Ministry of Military Affairs.

The heroic insurgents were awarded posthumously military decorations, who were handed to their families by the blinded major Wrzosek. Speeches were delivered over the common grave, where the coffins were interred. 

A speech by the commanding officer of the honor guard to his soldiers deserves special attention, in it he indicated the fallen as an example of sacrifice and heroism. After the salute salvos, numerous wreaths were laid on the grave. Exhumation included the remains of 30 insurgents, who during the first days of August 1944 captured a building behind the former Ministry of Military Affairs at Marszalkowska Street. Forty one of them entered the fight. All were young boys, aged 17 to 19. The oldest, commander, Officer Cadet "Bicz" ( "the Whip") was 22 years old. They had hardly any weapons, only handguns and a few grenades. They held the captured building for several days. Finally the Germans set fire to the building. Thirty died in flames...



This book descibes the fates of soldiers of the 135 Platoon VII Concentration Group "Ruczaj" ("the Brook") of Armia Krajowa (Home Army). This Platoon took its origin from the Officer Cadet Battalion, the Reader will also find its history in this book. The fates of the 135 Platoon after its incorporation into the VII Concentration Group are presented with the background of the activities of the entire Group, in particular of the Company "Habdank".

(page 56) In the middle of 1942 to the platoon of "Lech" were accepted: Maciej Gorzechowski - "Alek", Bogdan Jaworski - "Pip", Jerzy Kielgrzymski - "Antos" and Antoni Wajszczuk - "Toni". In September 1942 "Lubicz" enrolled into the same platoon his schoolmate and friend Zdzislaw Sliwinski "Pawel", "Witold", who was incorporated in "Michal's" section.

click on the pictures to enlarge

On the left - Location of the Department of Cavalry building and the path of attack of the 135 Platoon on August 1, 1944. On the right - Retreat paths of soldiers of the 135 Platoon from the burning building of the Cavalry Department

On the left - Corner house with double numbering - 19, Marszalkowska Street and 1, Oleandry Street. The whole second floor above the stores was taken up by "Witold's" apartment which was the 135 Platoon's place of concentration and waiting for the "W" hour (starting hour of the Uprising). On the right - House at 31, Marszalkowska Street, where through its entrance gate were transported the severily wounded and retreated the lightly wounded and uninjured soldiers of the 135 Platton during the night of August 3/4, 1944

On the left - Building of the Cavalry Department of the Ministry of Military Affairs - status before the war - its capture was the task of the 135 Platoon. On the right - The same building after the fight and fire. Picture taken in 1945.


(page 202)
Resulting from the efforts of the parents and patrons of soldiers of the 135 Platoon (including the parents of "Witold"), a solemn funeral of the burnt remains of soldiers fallen in fighting for the building of the Cavalry Department took place on December 14. 1946. The very difficult material situation of Varsovians, who lost their whole lifes' posessions, forced them to turn for help in organizing the funeral to the Association of Participants of Armed Struggle for Independance and Democracy. This was the reason that the press reported that the funeral took place thanks to "the efforts of the Voivodship Council of the Association of Participants of the Armed Struggle for Independance and Democracy". The remains of the fallen were collected from the building in 1945 by the Polish soldiers and temporarily buried in front of the building of the Department of Cavalry. On December 14, 1946 the temporary grave was uncovered and the remains were placed in three coffins. The Funeral Holy Mass was celebrated in the church of the Holiest Redeemer (Kosciol Najswietszego Zbawiciela), after which the coffins were transported to the Powazki Military Cemetery. The funeral procession assisted by the honor guard continued from the cemetery gate to the prepared burial site. A speech was delivered over the grave and the blinded major Wrzosek handed the families the Medals for Warsaw 1939-1945, which were awarded to the soldiers poshumously. The Honor Guard Company fired a salute salvo. Thanks to the efforts of seven families, a covering stone plate was funded and placed on the dirt grave and the names of seven fallen were engraved on it. In its central part a cross was carved along with an inscription: "Grave of 30 soldiers of AK 135 Platoon of "Bicz" 3 Company 7th Concentration Group "Ruczaj" burnt in the building of the Ministry of Military Affairs ul. Marszalkowska 24/26 on August 3, 1944". In addition - an inscription at the bottom center "Glory to the Fallen - Comfort to the Living". In 1993 the grave was restored thanks to the efforts of the "Board of the Circle of Soldiers of the "Ruczaj" Battalion" and three names were added. For many years on every anniversary of the beginning of the Uprising at this grave takes place an assembly of soldiers with the banner of the "Ruczaj" Battalion. Flowers are laid, candles are lit and loud prayers are said for the fallen. The "Ruczaj" Battalion, unlike several other insurgent groups, does not have its separate burial quarters in this cemetery. Individual graves of soldiers of this Battalion are scattered over the whole military cemetery and several other cemeteries. The grave of soldiers of the 135 Platoon is the largest of the "Ruczaj" interment sites and therefore the anniversary memorial gatherings take place there.

Common grave of the fallen soldiers of the 135 Platoon in the Powazki Military Cemetery in Warsaw

see - Powązki Military Cemetery in Warsaw (A-27)

Common grave of soldiers of the 135 Platoon

Fragment of inscription on the grave

Fresh flowers and a banner

See corresponding branch of the Tree