The Internet pages of the Zamosc-Lubaczow Diocese (http://www.zamosc.opoka.org.pl)
were the source of information, which is presented below and describes
briefly selected individual Parishes in that area, in which Wajszczuk
Family members used to live in the past or reside at present. Excerpts
from this publication follow.
(Our comments - indicated below with
an italic script - summarize the information about the time periods for
which the Metrical (Public Records) Books were available and were
examined and the results of this review. Also
see a separate page,
which summarizes information about the up-to-date record review -
arranged by Parishes).
Review was completed in the following Parishes:
Nielisz - Initially Nielisz belonged to the Wielacza Parish.
Already at the beginning of the 17th century, a chapel existed there
which, after its enlargement in 1640, became a center of ministry. (...)
Finally, in 1753 Nielish received the rights of a Parish, but continued
to serve in an auxiliary function to the Wielacza Parish. It functioned
in this role still in the 19th century. (...) Though, it should be
remembered that from 1753, there existed separate parish books. It was
becoming incresingly independant since the end of the 19th century.
(The Books were reviewed from the end of the 18th century to the
second half of the 19th century. A Wajszczuk family, derivinig from
"Wysokie-Sitaniec" and at that time living in Wolka Nieliska (see),
belonged here temporarily, at the end of the 18th and at the beginning
of the 19th centuries. Subsequently, around the middle of the 19th
century, this family settled in Sulow and its vicinity and they belonged
(and its descendants still belong) to the Szczebrzeszyn Parish.
Nieledew - A Greek-Catholic parish existed here already in
1740. At the time of annulment of the Union (by the Russian Tsar), it
was replaced by a Russian Orthodox parish and a wooden Uniate church was
transformed into an Orthodox church. The Roman-Catholics belonged at
that time to the Latin Parish in Trzeszczany. (...) An independant
ministry center begun to be organized there in 1983, to include some of
the localities belonging previously to the Trzeszczany Parish. (...) In
1985, the Lublin Diocese Bishop, Boleslaw Pylak erected an independant
Parish in Nieledew.
(The Register Books were reviewed dating from the 30-ties to the
70-ties of the 19th century. A few entries of the name Wayszczuk, or
similar, were found around the middle of the 19th century (see).
The review will continue including the Trzeszczany Parish - see below).
Wielącza - This Parish existed already in 1424 and it can be
counted among the oldest in the former Chelm Diocese.
(The Parish record books were reviewed from the 3rd decade of the
18th century to the second half of the 19th century - (see).
The records for the village of Wysokie exist only from the year 1784. At
that time the Wajszczuks were already living in Wysokie (see).
The name is found there continuously until approximately the middle of
the 19th century - later on, records for the same family appear in the
(...) A branch of the Wielacza Parish in Nielisz existed already when
this Parish still belonged to the Chelm Diocese. Later on, an
independant Parish was established in Nielisz.
Sitaniec - This Parish belongs to the oldest in the territory
of the former Chelm Diocese. It was erected in the second half of the
15th century. Its territory was very vast, but with time it became
markedly reduced. It should be remembered that a Parish in the
neighbouring Zamosc was created 150 years later.
(The books were examined starting from the final decades of the
18th century to the middle of the 19th century. Wysokie and Sitaniec
belong at present to this Parish. As mentioned above, a Wajszczuk family
from "Sitaniec-Wysokie" belonged here already towards the end of the
18th century (see).
One of the descendants of this family settled later in Sulow. A Waszczuk
family belonged to this Parish at the same time (see).
Members of a large Wajszczuk family from Wysokie as well as members of
their descendant "new" Sitaniec line also belonged (were registered)
here, starting in about the third decade of the 19th century (see)).
Szczebrzeszyn - This Parish was erected in 1398 by Jakob, the
Archbishop of Halicz. Its founder was Dymitr from Goraj, the owner of
Szczebrzeszyn. (...) Territory-wise, this Parish was very vast. This
situation lasted for a long time. (...) Marked reduction of its
territory took place in the 20th century; many localities were dropped
because of the creation of new parishes.
(The books were reviewed
starting from the middle of the 17th century to the 70-ties of the 19th
century. "Similar" last names were found already very early (see),
but recordings of names, which can be unequivocally accepted as ancestors
of the Wajszczuk Family, appear much later. They are - the Wajszczuks
from Wolka Nieliska, and later from Sulow and vicinity; they appeared in
the records from this Parish in the first half of the 19th century (see)
and their descendants still belong to the same parish in Szczebrzeszyn.
Stary Zamość - This village was purchased in 1447 by Tomasz
Sariusz from Laznin. Its name was Zamosc until 1580 and it was a
hereditary village of the Zamoyski Family. A Parish existed here
already in 1531. (...) Until the end of the 18th century, the Parish
belonged to the Chelm Diocese and since the beginning of the 17th
century, it was part of the Zamosc Dekanat. With the passage of
centuries, its territory was becoming reduced, for instance a Parish
in Wirkowice was established in 1937.
(The books were examined from the beginning of the 17th century to
the 70-ties of the 19th century. Only one entry concerning the name
Wajszczuk was found - it recorded under a date of January 15, 1865, a
marriage of Mikolaj Wajszczuk (1323), who lived in Wysokie and belonged
to the Sitaniec Parish, to Anna Zderkiewicz from Stary Zamosc.
Grabowiec, (Decanate - Grabowiec, locality - Horyszow).
Horyszow belonged until 1921 to the Latin Parish in Grabowiec; the
Greek-Catholic parishioners had, since the 18th century, their own
parish in Horyszow and its branch in Koniuchy. At the time of
abolishment of the Union, the Greek-Catholic parish was closed and it
was replaced by an Orthodox parish. After 1921, the catholics of the
Latin Rite (Roman-Catholics) belonged to the parish in Gdeszyn; in 1969
an independant ministry center was created in Horyszow. During the years
1987- 90 a presbytery was built. (...) A Parish was erected on December
30, 1992 by the Bishop Jan Srutwa from the Zamosc-Lubaczow Diocese.
(We were previously advised that some members of the Wajszczuk
Family resided (briefly?) after the war in Horyszow. Review of the
records dating from 1810 to the 1970-ties did not reveal the name
Wajszczuk, but some "similar" names were found -
Hrubieszów - The original name of this place was Rubieszow and
this name was still in use at the beginning of the 19th century. First
settlement was mentioned in 1255. This royal village receved the town
charter in 1400 from the King Wladyslaw Jagiello. (...). It was
destroyed several times during the Tartar and Cossack incursions and
wars (...) and by fires (...). After the First Partitioning, it was
included into the Austrian sector, since 1809 included into the Warsaw
Principality, after 1815 belonged to the Congress Kingdom (Krolestwo
Kongresowe). (...) A Parish was erected in 1400. Provided for by
Wladyslaw Jagiello, Kazimierz Jagiellonczyk increased its dowry.
Initially Hrubieszow belonged to the Diocese of Chelm, in 1604 became a
Decanate. (...) The Archive stores documents and Register books dating
back to the end of the 18th century as well as a Parish Chronicle. The
post-Dominican Archive does not exist (it is partially preserved in
(The Register books of the Episcopal Curia in Hrubieszow were
revieved starting from 1762 up to 1808. No name Wajszczuk was found, but
we encountered some "similar" names - see).
Horyszów Polski - presently a Parish of the Elevation of the
Holy Cross, Decanat - Sitaniec. A Greek-Catholic Parish existed here
since 1743. In the middle of the 19th century it had a branch in Stabrow.
After the abolishment of the Union in 1875, the Parish was closed and
replaced by an Orthodox Parish, which functioned until the World War I.
The Roman-Catholics belonged at that time to the Grabowiec, Sitaniec and
Dubno Parishes. A Roman-Catholic Parish was erected in Horyszow Polski
on February 6, 1919 by a Lublin Bishop, Marian Fulman. (...) Difficult
times for the Parish arrived with the Second World War. On May 19, 1942
German Gendarmerie murdered 17 inhabitants of Horyszow Polski, 5 people
from Janowka and 9 from Kornelowka. The inhabitants of Horyszow Polski,
Wolka Horyszow Polski, Sitno Village and Colony were expelled from their
homes and villages by the Germans in December of 1943.
(Register Books of the Greek-Catholic Parish were reviewed for the
period from 1810 to 1865. No Wajszczuk name entries were found, but some
"similar" names were encountered - see).